SCA Activities are usually gatherings of a few hours on an evening or weekend. They are often informal and might involve a structured class or be more drop-in style. Many involve Arts & Sciences, or A&S, and could focus on knitting, silk banner making, cooking, sewing, woodworking, and many other topics. If you are expected to bring specific supplies, that information will be provided in advance.
- What to expect: A&S activities in particular are teaching events. That means that questions are expected, and in some cases desperately wished for. Many activities will have a focus: making an item (i.e. a pouch), learning a specific skill (i.e. how to knit), or getting help with something (a sewing get-together).
- Clothing: Garb (medieval clothing) is usually not expected to be worn. If the activity is messy (i.e. painting or fabric dying), wear clothing that is appropriate.
- Fees: Most events are free, however there might be a fee for materials if there is a class or group project.
- Location: The activity’s host usually determines the location. It might be online, at a community center, or someone’s home. Information on how to get to the activity will be available on the Baronial calendar, email list, and Facebook page.
- Transportation: It may be possible to arrange a pickup from the closest local mass transit station or a carpool. Check with the event host or the event post on Facebook ahead of time.